Is it just me, or has Dubai made you super lazy? Before I moved to the UAE 4 years ago, I led a pretty active lifestyle, but now I cannot be bothered to do anything! It got me thinking, is it simply as i am getting older (I no longer have the energy I did in my 20's) or is it other factors? Here are a few things that are 'so Dubai' that have most definitely contributed to my laziness.
- Your fuel is filled up for you! And still I put off going to the petrol station as long as possible. I worry that I wouldn't actually remember how to do it myself if needed. I am yet to use Cafu simply as I live in an apartment but I am sure that'll be the way forward when I move.
- You can pretty much order anything instantly on an app. Need just one can of diet coke? Then Talabat Go will have it to you in just minutes! Seriously, it is that quick. I cannot remember the last time I popped out to get a pint of milk or an onion I forgot for the dinner.
- As well as quick essentials, you can order from almost any restaurant on one of the delivery apps. Even some of the higher end restaurants offer delivery too.
- Taxis are readily available and really affordable! I have never even got on a bus here, whereas in London, public transport was the only way I traveled. Also, why would I walk and get all hot and sweaty when I can just jump in a taxi.... But really, I do need to work on getting my daily steps in.
- I cannot remember the last time I got the iron out! I wouldn't be surprised if many people don't even own one. Pick up services for dry cleaning are pretty reliable, and it's cheap!
- Needs your hair or nails done? Or a relaxing message? Yep, that's right, there are many companies who provide these services at home! I love my salons so have not tried this, but a lot of girls rave about them!
- Home PCR tests. I have always booked my PCR tests through the Rizek app, it is the same price and again, no need to leave the house! When I went back to the UK, I was shocked I had to commute to a centre, pay 3 x the price and queue outside in the cold for 1 hour.
These are just a few examples and I am sure there are many more! I for one am going to make a conscious effort to be more active and not live in this Dubai bubble, but then again, is it really such a bad thing?!